National Sheepdog Finals Blog


2013 National Sheepdog Finals - Watch an experienced dog handler team walk calmly to the post, begin their run with complete composure, manage their sheep quietly and competently, and close their work with a soft “that’ll do”. The road to that run ran through struggles and successes and more struggles, humble beginnings where managing stock could seem like trying to control birds in flight. The National Finals has a tradition of excellent blogs showcasing how top handlers train and prepare for the event, using their skills to come down the home stretch tuned for perfection. In recognition of the miles travelled to get to that final lap, of tenacity and hard work and the fact that our travails can be a source of inspiration, education and humor, we are dedicating the 2013 Finals blog to the beginnings and the lessons learned along the way.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lori Cunningham - Novice Trials

My first trial dog was named Nick.   As I was walking to the post in a novice novice trial, one of Nick’s back feet somehow slipped through the loop of my hiking boot shoelace.   Freaked by his foot being caught, he proceeded to dance wildly around in several circles, cinching his foot tighter and tighter, tying himself to my foot.    Panic mounted and he made a break for it, taking my leg with him.    I went down hard.   My crook went flying somewhere like a javelin.   Nick started screaming like he was on fire, and dragged me around on the ground by one foot like a sled dog as he tried to get free.    After what seemed like forever, I managed to struggle upright enough to untie him from my boot.   I think I crawled to the post.    I don’t remember what happened after that, but I’m pretty sure we didn’t win.

2 comments:

  1. I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard! I forgot all about that! I must say though that you made it look graceful. : ) Sue A

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK now that WAS funny :@) You are a brave women to share that!
    "That said" ... look where you are now!


    Candy Kennedy

    ReplyDelete